Parents Step Ahead is a 501-C3 nonprofit organization with the mission “to recognize, educate, enable and empower parents to take a proactive role in the educational and personal development of their children.”
Parents Step Ahead seeks to remedy the growing lack of awareness and education plaguing parents, especially minority and disadvantaged parents, which are putting their children at a significant educational disadvantage. We believe parents are the foundation of their child’s future; and to a great extent the key to their success in life.
Parents Step Ahead works in partnership with school districts, businesses and community organizations to offer the following programs and initiatives:
- School-Based Parent Programs (in 7 districts currently including San Antonio)
- Teacher Ambassador (volunteer) Program
- Parent of the Year Gala Award Ceremony
- Month of the Family
- Parents Step Ahead Centers (future initiative)
Parents Step Ahead has reached 28,500 parents at over 60 schools in the DFW metroplex and San Antonio. Thanks to the generous support of corporations and community leaders, Parents Step Ahead is able to fulfill its mission of providing parents with essential tools to remain actively involved in the educational and personal development of their children-our nation’s precious future.
Director of Programs
Reporting to the Chair of the Board, the Director of Programs will be responsible for the operational success of Parents Step Ahead in addition to ensuring seamless program management, development, delivery quality control and evaluation. The Director of Programs will be the key external face of Parents Step Ahead in the community.
Characteristics, Duties & Responsibilities
This is a 5 day, 40 hours per week position (Monday – Friday) with after-hours work required for programs/events. 30% travel required
Program Operational Management:
- Oversee the planning and implementation of
- Parent education programs in the school (Avg. – 7 programs annually)
- Teacher Ambassador volunteer recruitment for each program
- Teacher Ambassador DC Leadership Experience (every September)
- March Month of the Family day of community service (Irving and San Antonio locations)
- Parent of the Year Gala ( first Friday of December)
- Student education panels (at the LATINA Style 50 Award Conference in February)
- Manage costs/budgets
- Manage vendor and partner relations as they pertain to programs/events
- Coordinate/Invite speakers, presenters, School Districts elected officials and other guests
- Manage and coordinate staffing/volunteers
- Oversee/conduct follow up correspondence/calls
- See that the Chair is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
- Coordinate media coverage and interviews for each event; write and distribute press releases in English and Spanish
- Maintain organization’s marketing materials, website, and social media
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of funding solicitation phone calls, meetings and events participants and supporters.
- Write proposals and corresponding letters to request sponsorships/support as needed.
- Assist in updating sponsorship information on a regular basis.
- Solicit sponsorships for special events to select accounts; provide follow up to house accounts as needed.
Other duties as assigned
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with nonprofit management experience to grow and further develop an organization. The successful candidate will lead programs, partner with the ED and work collaboratively with a high-performance board of directors. Specific requirements include:
- Minimum of a BA, MA preferred
- At least 8 years of experience. With three of those in a nonprofit management role and 2 years fundraising/grant writing
- Deep understanding of nonprofit operations
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Experience having worked with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive Board of Directors
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) – Written and oral
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
Please submit resume, cover letter and list of references to Lupita@elhispanonews.com. Calls will not be taken but questions can be emails to Lupita@elhispanonews.com.
To download the PDF of this career opportunity, click here.